As you look to the future, it’s important to recognize that the number of big choices you will need to make do not diminish. In fact, they increase right about the time we start to ask the question “Am I going to be OK?” The best way to answer your big question is to design the life you want to live and then test it using a model. In other words, Adopt the approach of a designer. The “Retirement Designer” inside our Navigator app as been built specifically to help you quickly and easily design what your future retirement looks like and test its feasibility.
When you design your retirement, you will:
- Gain clarity of what is possible
- Have greater confidence in the choices you are making
- Be less likely to look back with regret about the choices you make as life moves forwards.
do more and worry less
What is design thinking and why does it matter?Design thinking is an approach to solving problems when there are vastly more unknown variables then known variables. Your future and your retirement are just a problem. You have ideas about the things you want to do, when you are going to do them, and what they might cost but there are many other things which are not. To approach your retirement like a designer you need to:
- Create a model that captures what you know
- Test the model through simulation
- Evaluate the test results
- Refine the model to correct for deficiencies and test again
Steps to designing your retirement
- Register and complete the profile wizard that will establish the basics of where you are in life right now
- Take the introductory tour to understand the basic of how the app works
- Input some ideas about your future life like when you might retire, the broad strokes of vacations you want to take, when you might sell one home to move to another etc. (There are tours that can help you with the steps if you are uncertain)
- Click on choice assessment to find out if your choices are achievable